Sunday 31st October 2021
Marathon - Half Marathon
Event Information PDF for 31st October 2021
A flat Marathon & Half Marathons in Mid Devon.
The route is 100% on the Grand Western Canal Path.
Between Tiverton & Sampford Peverell
Sunday 31st October – Start times from 8am
A flat Marathon or Half Marathon in Devon? Impossible you say!
Well here it is the Grand Canal Canter along the picturesque Grand Western Canal, your choice of Marathon or two separate Half Marathons.
The route starts at Tiverton Canal Basin and heads along the canal paths for 6.6 miles to Sampford Peverell, here is the turn around point, where you head back to Tiverton and for the Half Marathon the finish line, for the Marathon runners you repeat the course a second time.
There is less than 90ft of ascent in the Half Marathon and less than 180ft of ascent in the Marathon, making it a flat course along hard packed gravel canal paths.
Bespoke “Grand Canal Canter” medal for all finishers.
To spread the runners out along the route and minimise the number of runners on the route at any one time, we are holding two Half Marathon sessions on the day, the first has a 2hr 30 minute cut off time, the second has a 3hr 15 minute cut off time, the results of the two half marathons will be combined for the final results, the provisional timetable of events on the day is:
Half Marathon 1 (Cut off time 2hrs 30 minutes) – 8am Start
Marathon – 8.30am start (6hr cut off)
Half Marathon 2- 10.45am start (3hr 15 cut off)
The Grand Canal Canter is a Cupless event, all runners must bring and carry either a water bottle, cup or running backpack with them. There are water containers to top up your water or fill your cup approx every 3 miles, but there are no cups provided.
Half Marathon Affiliated £26
Half Marathon Unaffiliated £28
Marathon Affiliated £32
Marathon Unaffiliated £34
Runners must be over 18
THE EVENT HAS SOLD OUT8am
Covid 19 – Extra Measures (Subject to change if the government guidance changes, final measures will be emailed to you)
1) Race Numbers & Safety Pins will be posted out to you prior to the event.
2) You will be given a start time to come to Race HQ area, please do not arrive before that time.
3) You will have a wave number, do not come to the Start Line until your wave number is called. Wait in the Race HQ until you are called.
4) When at the start line, stand 2 metres apart from the other runners. There will be a maximum of 10 runners per wave.
5) Waves start every 3 minutes. Please consider wearing a face mask while waiting to start and after you finish.
5) Please park in the nominated car parks in the final Event Information PDF. Please keep spectators to a minimum and they must also follow all socially distancing guidance.
6) Toilets are located at the Tiverton Canal Basin, just below Race HQ, listen to the marshal and socially distance while queuing, please use the hand sanitizer before entering and when leaving.
7) Please abide by all social distancing guidelines before, during and after the event, do not stand in groups of more then 6, keep 2 metres apart. Please follow any one way or no entry signs at the event.
8) While running keep 2 metres apart from the other runners where possible, while overtaking please keep this as brief as possible and do not cut straight back in, in front of the other runner. You will be running in the opposite direction to other runners at times, please keep as much distance as safely possible when doing this, the same applies for other path users.
9) Please be aware you have no right of way of any other users of the Canal Path and must respect social distancing at all times.
10) Please listen to the marshals at the bridges, these are narrow and runners heading in the Sampford Peverell to Tiverton direction will have right of way preference.
11) Please use the Hand Sanitizer before using the Water Stop.
12)At the Finish you will be congratulated and shown the table to pick up your medal, once this is done please leave the Marked Finish area, there is plenty of space around this to sit and recover if needed, but we need to keep the finish area clear.
13) TEAMSS Medical Services will be attendance.
14) MOST IMPORTANT! – If you are feeling unwell, have any of the Covid Symptoms, have a cough or sneeze, have a temperature of 38c or higher, live in an area currently under “lockdown or no travel” restrictions, have been in contact with anyone with symptoms in the last 14 days then you must not attend the event, stay at home and get tested.
15) Important! – If the event cannot take place on Sunday 25th October 2020 your place will automatically be transferred to the March 2021 Grand Canal Canter event or if you cannot attend that event, the October 2021 Grand Canal Canter event, if you cannot do either of these, you will get a race credit to the value of your entry, to use at any other Winding Paths event, this forms part of your Terms and Conditions for entry and by entering you agree to this condition.